CONSALD Meeting 10/16/2014

CONSALD Business Meeting Minutes
October 16, 2014, 11:30am-5:00pm
University of Wisconsin-Madison Memorial Library, Rm. 126

Present: Judy Alspach (CRL), Deepa Banerjee (Washington), Bronwen Bledsoe (Cornell), Atish Chatterjee (LC- Delhi), Karen Farrell (Indiana), David Faust (Minnesota), Monica Ghosh (Hawaii), Elaine Goettler (Toronto/Mississauga), Gary Hausman (Columbia), David Hirsch (UCLA) , Pamela Howard-Reguindin (LC-Islambad), Sanjeep Kindo (Wisconsin), Richard Lesage (Harvard), Aruna Magier (NYU), David Magier (Princeton), Adnan Malik (Berkeley), Jeff Martin (Michigan), Philip McEldowney (Virginia), Laila Mulgaokar (LC-Delhi), Jim Nye (Chicago), Edward Proctor (Duke/UNC), Mary Rader (Texas), Laura Ring (Chicago) Urmila Sharma (Syracuse), James Simon (CRL), Lana Soglasnova (Toronto/St. George), Pushkar Sohoni (Penn), Mara Thacker (UIUC), Yadi Yasin (LC- Jakarta)

1.       Introductions

a.       Karen Farrell at Indiana University, started this past Spring, working on web archive of endangered languages

b.      Lana Soglasnova- Interim liasiaon for South Asian Studies and Slavic Cataloging, University of Toronto

c.       Yadi Yasim from Library of Congress in Jakarta

d.      Elaine Goettler- from U Toronto Missisuaga campus

2.       Approval of Minutes

a.       No additions, corrections

b.      Laura Ring motion to approve, Mary Rader seconds, minutes approved

3.       Need an election & nomination committee for CONSALD

a.       Will need someone to replace Laura Ring and a new chair because Edward Proctor will be in Delhi for 6 months for a grant funded digitization project

b.      Email your suggestions to Edward Proctor

4.       Journal Subcommittee Report by Aruna Magier

a.       Distributed print out of report (AM will also send out digital copy)

i.      South Asian journal coverage in ProQuest—still skews overwhelming towards science, medicine, technology.

1.       Laura Ring still trying to connect with ProQuest to advocate for more humanities and social science titles, but at this point they don’t seem interested

2.       Uma Sharma- many disciplines are interdisciplinary now so it may not be as limited as we think

ii.      SALToC

1.       Will give a demo after SACAP Coop meeting from 1:30-2:30 tomorrow

2.       More participants are interested in joining

3.       Considering scope of journals contributed

a.       period of coverage- longer runs more desirable, but to lessen workload it is suggested that participants just send a few retrospective ToCs per month

b.      selection of target journals by subject- subjects could complement those selected in SACAP Coop

c.       selection by language—do we want to add other major Indian languages? Continue with the same languages? Select languages from other South Asian countries?

d.      Faculty input for selecting journals

i.      GH- perhaps the time to take faculty requests would be when you have those on-demand reference requests from faculty

ii.      LR- on the other hand perhaps the journals aren’t being requested because without ToC available the journals aren't read as often

4.       Practical considerations for submissions

5.       DM does a demo related to discoverability of SALToC

a.       Participating institutions should link to 856 field in their own OPACs (should only take 5-7 minutes to add to record)

b.      SALToC lives on the NYU D-space so you could share the link to that space for a complete list

c.       Shows how it appears in Princeton’s main catalog (shows up as a link called “Table of Contents” next to “Electronic Access” field”

i.      LR mentions that many libraries are automatically stripping the 856 fields from records because of confusion relating to whether it is an electronic resource or not, she is investigating this issue further (might be a local issue only)

iii.      Open Access Journals

1.       Might be a good idea to maintain a list of these with an eye towards evaluating those which are high quality and those which are not

iv.      JSTOR update

1.       Eventually may want to ask faculty for titles to suggest to JSTOR, but first need to see where we stand with JSTOR

2.       They have included some of the titles we suggested, some he did not add, some they still plan to add

3.       Aruna will distribute list she received from JSTOR to CONSALD after the meeting

4.       JSTOR is not interested in taking up any ceased publications

a.       Should we consider advocating with them to take up these ceased publications because they are not likely to be picked up by other databases either which will ultimately restrict access?

i.      JSTOR would have concerns about cost recovery and how to monetize these types of publications

5.       David Magier on Bibliography of Asian Studies

a.       Usually South Asia editor of BAS gives this report, but David Magier is giving this report because rather than talking about changes to content we are talking about changes to management and David is on the advisory committee

i.      BAS is a product of the Association of Asian Studies

1.       Is a cost recovery model that is covered through individual and institutional subscriptions

2.       Price had been fairly stable

3.       BAS is not just journal articles, but also chapters and conference proceedings, etc.

ii.      The board has been getting feedback that they should worry about the status of the product

1.       The number of subscriptions is plateauing though it is widely subscribed

a.       Little growth but cost of maintenance is growing

2.       Library community has been evolving with new integrated discovery platforms and BAS needs to evolve accordingly

a.       Library patrons have an increasing demand for full-text [only] products, which will not happen through BAS, but they should be able to have links to full-text if your library has access to the title

i.      Make a more direct path to full-text where available

b.      Programming upgrades are needed

i.      It is hosted at the University of Michigan, it is a holdover from Digital Library Production Services (DLPS) and was handed over to the Library Systems office at the University of Michigan Library. Since it is not directly in the mission of the daily activities of the UM Libraries and is an external project, they are not motivated to spend a lot of time on it and develop it

b.      Hired outside consultant (Ithaka S&R Roger Schoenfeld) to evaluate the BAS

i.      Did an RFP and asked other bibliographic record only databases (for example, HAPI), JSTOR, commercial products

1.       Seems like our best options will be to go with Brill or Ebsco

a.       The differences between the two are fairly small except that there will be differences in the prices that the board can negotiate

b.      We want price to remain fairly stable and hope that increased/better marketing will increase our subscription base

i.      Judy Alspach: Is HAPI going to go the same route?

1.       They are already working on that as well

ii.      Pamela Howard-Reguindin: If they go commercial will that change how the content is indexed?

1.       Not sure, probably not because our indexers are already paid and are not volunteers

2.       PHR: But partnership with a commercial entity will change the extent to which libraries are motivated to cooperate and support the BAS on a volunteer basis

iii.      MR: Was report already submitted to board?

1.       Yes

2.       MR: But there are cautionary tales from other products that went commercial, going commercial will change good will feeling towards the BAS

3.       DM: Part of RFP did include criteria such as continuing have an affordable price and realistic distribution in Asia. There was no other viable existing infrastructure

iv.      JN: Will the legacy data only be available through Brill or Ebsco? So would institutions already subscribing who paid through AAS be cut off if they can’t switch over?

1.       Not sure yet

v.      AM: Do Ebsco and Brill understand the BAS is not-for-profit?

1.       Yes

6.       Judy Alspach with SAMP update

a.       Our name has been officially updated from “microfilm” to “materials”

b.      Projects update

i.      Newspaper “Capitol” from Kolkata is being microfilmed should be available for borrowing in December (21 reels expected)

ii.      Ceylon Times is continuing to come in, so it’s still in the works

 iii.      LC Afghanistan materials—5 titles are currently at microfilmer 

c.       Governance Updates

i.      Will need to run an election by next Spring at our AAS meeting to replace faculty representation and one librarian representative David Faust and Laura Manring

1.       Two people needed for each category

    ii.      Mara Thacker and Pushkar Sohoni volunteer to run election

      iii.      Judy Alspach and James Simon have both been promoted

d.      David Magier talking about his attempt to work with Nehru Memorial Library and his attempt to acquire microfilm materials from them—they were at one time interested in an exchange of microfilms

  i.      There are two microfilms in particular that DM would like to acquire for his library on behalf of a Princeton scholar

 ii.      They are finally willing to discuss an exchange again, sounds like it might happen but they need to discuss which two titles they might want in exchange from the SAMP catalog

7.       Digital Dictionaries of South Asia and DSAL Update with Jim Nye

a.       Endangered Urdu Periodicals Project was recently completed—the 65 titles (mostly from Pakistan) will be available online in a few months and then uploaded to DSAL.

b.      Received another Endangered Archives grant for 1600+ Kannada titles from MIPP

c.       Under a grant, hopeful that a postcard database will be available and searchable from DSAL database

d.      Received $300,000 grant from NEH to support the Digital Dictionaries of South Asia project

i.      Expect to add 13 dictionaries (6 paid for by grant, 7 in matching funds?)

ii.      The 13 languages being added include- Kannada, Kashmiri, Punjab (both scripts), Sindhi, Sinhala, Telegu, Konkani, Prakrit

iii.      Choosing monolingual dictionaries

iv.      Need to also add audio features

v.      Want to improve searchability and display for all dictionaries (there are 58 to date)

  vi.      Adding password protected dictionary annotation system to allow vetted people to add information to the repository

  vii.      Developing set of API and apps to make dictionaries available offline and usable on smart phones

e.      DH: Is there a list of the Urdu periodicals?

i.      Will be posted in a blog post shortly, catalog records are also being loaded into OCLC

8.       CONSALD Website Discussion with Edward Proctor

a.       GH willing to continue working on it

b.      LR really wants to see more content—impressed with SAALG blog, should we have a group of people on a rotating basis to submit some content?

c.       GH- a compilation of multi-format material would be useful, keep track of websites and PDFs

i.      We need to establish standards for this

d.      Lana Soglasnova (LS)- As a user it seems to have reached a level of complexity where it is not obvious where things are, so a search box would be useful

e.      MT- still never settled who is our audience or done usability testing

f.        LR- what happened to website committee

g.       GH- should first make it useful for our own purposes, also we should have a master LibGuide

h.      EP was hoping to resuscitate committee

i.         US- we should have links to activities of members, this would help with LibGuides compilation suggestion, maybe also making it easier to find out where different collection strengths are

j.        LR—aren’t we already writing stories and communicating things for our own libraries? Why can’t we make a blog?

k.       MT- part of this is outreach, part is a website concern, I would be willing to collaborate with outreach

l.         Monica Ghosh (MG)—it’s not visually appealing or user friendly and who has time or money to do that?

i.      MR- There is no CONSALD money for this

ii.      There is also an expertise issue

m.    Website Committee volunteers—Laura Ring, Karen Ferell, Gary Hausman, Mara Thacker, Philip McEldowney

n.      MG—other CONSALD members will be willing to give feedback

o.      Can we get models of websites we like?

p.      GH—We will need to have multiple point contacts

q.      LR—appoint a committee first and communicate then communicate with group

r.        There is a problem with money, we will need to hire a technical person to do this full or half time, since this isn’t part of our jobs

s.       MG—survey the rest of the CONSALD members about what they want, Monica will help us construct a survey

9.       SAMP-appointed group proposal for large-scale digitization

a.       They sent out a draft as to where the working group is now, they are on draft 5

b.      The idea is to create a sub-component of SAMP it would be the “South Asia Materials Project’s Open Archives Committee”, institutions would be members either by paying a fee or contributing in kind

c.       Want feedback from group—what does it need to be successful?

i.      GH—libraries differ widely on their approach national copyright law, so it would be important to disseminate the rationale for the interpretations of international copyright law

1.       JN—might be a component of the plan for the first five years, but this is not fixed. The intention for pursuing the interpretation from the nation states’ governments would be to make the interpretations acceptable and credible. Publishing and circulating results would be important

ii.      JA—wants to draw our attention to the timeline and next steps so we can make sure that it can happen this year?

 iii.      Jim Nye- thinking about the contribution of money, unique digital objects and/or staff—what kind of arguments will you be able to make to library directors or members of consortia?

1.       AM- already started discussions with director, contrasted the program with the South Asia Archive, thinks can give time, has background as an economic historian and wants to get resources added under that subject area, could prepare bibliography or documents about that area, came across a list of journals relating to cinema history that are difficult to find and access

  iv.      LR- we could think about added resources that commercial vendors wouldn’t be interested in because they can’t be sufficiently monetized

v.      JN- encouraging that Ramesh Gaur and JNU are interested in participating

vi.      DM- libraries may or may not have content they can contribute or ability to digitize materials locally, it’s not clear how contributions of time might be organized (though ideas such as a project to find where materials to be digitized might be held and trying to get agreements), for contributing money it’s possible that acquisitions funding could be used for this (we might not be licensing content but it would free access to content)

1.       JN- in terms of time there would be a need to go after external funding, so there is a need to write grant proposals

vii.      JN- how about the dollar amount? Is it doable?

1.       MT- it would help if we can be explicit about which areas would be covered so we could approach for cooperative purchases with other subject specialists

2.       Adnan Malik (AM)- at Berkeley this would be feasible especially because there are often carryover funds for special acquisitions

3.       David Faust (DF)- I think I could find the funds to make it happen especially when one makes the argument that we ought to be contributing funds to open access projects and the things we’d like to see grow

viii.      DB- it would be helpful to have a document with more details to help us start conversations with directors

1.       It would include shorter talking points that we could share, how much time or financial commitment

 ix.      JN- how appropriate would it be to take it to ARL directors directly?

1.       MG- this would be very helpful, our director is very active in ARL and committee to open access—like information about costs, how much does it cost to digitize something?

x.      DH- at some institutions it’s important to talk to head of collection development

xi.      US- talking to South Asia Center directors would be helpful too, many of them are applying for grants that include funds for library materials and projects

xii.      GH- collection development head is important to consult, funding for this is probably going to come from our regular acquisitions funds

xiii.      JN—we will really need to get grant funding- would it be premature to get a coalition together and approach folks for Mellon funding and/or NEH funding?

1.       DM—it would be helpful even before we approach grants officers to have written commitments from institutions who would pay money. It would also be better to start with AULs for collections rather than ARL directors

a.       JN—we discussed how this is could be a model for other AMP projects, etc.

i.      MR- There already is a model, Reveal Digital

b.      DM- creative financing is something to think about, since we are thinking about three types of contributions. Actual bill could be something less if supplemented by the other types of contributions. On the question of unit costs per page, there is not one type of digitization we are talking about

i.      Think about what could be delivered in different categories for $25,000

xiv.      LS- has value because it can also serve as a depository for information that is centrally available

xv.      MG- the relationship to other collections is really important, so content is really important

10.   Round Robin

a.       Some members presented by we ran out of time time and it was decided that members should email a paragraph to Mara Thacker to be added to the minutes later.

-Meeting adjourns-

Group content visibility: 
Public - accessible to all site users