CONSALD meeting 03/31/2016

Committee on South Asian Libraries and Documentation (CONSALD)

CONSALD Meeting
March 31st, 2016
1:30 – 5:30 pm
Suzzallo Library East conference room, 5th floor

4000 15th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105

Present: Laura Ring (Chicago), Jim Nye (Chicago), Mara Thacker (Illinois), Pushkar Sohoni (Pennsylvania), Gary Hausman (Columbia), Sarbjit Randhawa (UBC), David Hirsch (UCLA), Pamela Howard-Reguindin (LC-Islamabad), Edward Proctor (Duke/UNC), Bronwen Bledsoe (Cornell), Judy Alspach (CRL), Roger Morales (ATLA), Mary Rader (UT- Austin), Karen Farrell (Indiana), Anna Robinson (Washington University), Aruna Magier (NYU), Laila Mulgaokar (LC-Delhi), Philip McEldowney (UVA), Deepa Banerjee (U Washington), Susan Meinheit (LC), Ryan Perkins (Stanford)

  1. Welcome, Introductions
    1. Thank you to Deepa for arranging
    2. Approval of minutes
  2. Honors
    1. Book in honor of Tim Bryson has been digitized—thank you to CRL for doing that
    2. Lauran Hartley gave suggestions for a book to be digitized in honor of Pema Dorjee and is pursuing permission for that
  3. Treasury report (Mara Thacker)
    1. At Madison meeting will need a plan to raise funds for the future as we are likely to run out in the next few years
  4. Listserv policy
    1. Current policy is that there are no restrictions on who may join the listserv though there is a prohibition on using it for advertising or marketing to us-- should we restrict membership and how would we determine eligibility?
    2. Executive board says: Presence of vendors can be problematic but overall felt that the openness of the listserv was a good thing, the listserv is one of the few ways we have to mentor aspiring South Asia specialists, we like having faculty members who have an interest in our activities, and vendors could benefit from learning about our interests
    3. For sensitive issues, members are recommended to use CONSALD directory to email select members
    4. Recommendation to send out a canned message every 6 months to remind everyone that vendors are on the list and include the marketing policy
    5. Middle Eastern, Latin Studies librarians do have a separate vendor list, it is useful to get information
    6. Might be nice to see more vendor stuff so we can diversify our vendors
    7. Vote to accept recommendation of executive board (unanimously passed)
  5. ALL (Asian Liaison Librarians) Committee report (Laura Ring)
    1. Recent efforts to make it a meaningful committee again—Rich Richie reached out to chairs of CORMSEA, CONSALD, CEAL, and James Simon of CRL
    2. How can make use of a formal institutional relationship between these three committees
    3. Executive board of CEAL has voted unanimously to withdraw CEAL from ALL Committee under the argument that everyone in CEAL is oversubscribed and there wasn’t enough of a return on the investment of time in being involved
    4. CEAL drafted a memo to president of AAS to request that ALL be dissolved
    5. Recommendation to appeal to AAS under the reasoning that AAS tries to do things in a pan-Asian way and not make it “East Asia vs. everyone else”
    6. ALL does need to step up and revitalize in order to make the fight to keep it worthwhile
    7. In the past there were ALL-sponsored panels that were pan-Asian, on Wednesday of AAS there was a broader presentation and discussion session
    8. Could be used as a way to lobby with AAS for resources
    9. Possible that some of the communication that ALL was supposed to facilitate is still happening, just in other ways
    10. Everyone is in favor of fighting to retain the committee
  6. Journals Subcommittee report (Aruna Magier)
    1. Updates on Bibliography of Asian Studies (whether to go to Ebsco or elsewhere)
      1. AAS has signed a hosting contact with Ebsco to host the BAS through Ebsco, a beta version will be demonstrated on the new platform at Ebsco booth at this AAS meeting in the exhibition hall
    2. SALToC Update
      1. Many contributions of tables of contents from many participant librarians—see spreadsheet sent out over CONSALD listserv
      2. NYU is working on upgrading their institutional repository which may enable better functionality (for example may allow Aruna to change order of entries so won’t be as restrictive vis-à-vis dates of submissions)
      3. Two new libraries have joined—University of Texas at Austin is submitting Telugu journals, Harvard also submitting journals from Mauritius
    3. JStor
      1. Have sent input to Jason at JStor about which journals we want covered
      2. Had agreed to some but then had to withdraw due to issues contacting unresponsive publishers, Fehl Cannon has offered to try to help facilitate communication so they can resume
  7. DSAL update (Jim Nye)
    1. Most important recent activity is grant-funded activity with dictionaries
    2. Had a two year grant for dictionaries, have requested one-year, no-cost extension
    3. Have continued development of apps, have developed around 10 apps for Android, will soon deploy testing of iOS apps
    4. Funding from The University of Chicago Center in Delhi to have a meeting in Colombo about new directions for DDSA
    5. Continue to be short-staffed which has consequences for other activities, most notably a delay in making resources digitized from SAMP funds available for public view
  8. SAMP Open Archives update (Jim Nye)
    1. Everyone is welcome to a meeting from 8-9am in the Capitol Hill Room in the Sheraton to discuss the SAMP OAC
    2. Reported out on our first conference call
      1. Discussed four categories of priorities for initial digitization—refining these categories by the addition of specific titles will be the focus of tomorrow’s meeting
    3. Currently have 21 institutions
      1. Majority of institutions are North American, but have four partners from South Asia and expect British Library to join in
    4. We are worth slightly over $750,000
    5. We are in a good position to make some quick gains and should be able to show by June that we have a staff member in place, a mechanism in place, and a website
    6. Hopeful that a large body of digital resources will be available
    7. Hope we will be able to answer some questions about copyright issues, possible that South Asian imprints from up to 1957 might be available to the public
    8. Executive board was elected: Mary Rader (3 yr.), Aruna Magier (2 yr.), David Magier (1 yr.)—Judy Alspach and Jim Nye are ex-officio
    9. NEH application for a Challenge grant will be sent off shortly
    10. Suggestion of a general announcement to go out to all South Asianists to let them know this is happening—we need a press release
  9. SAMP update (Judy Alspach)
    1. Everyone invited to attend meeting tomorrow from 7:30-9:30pm at the Sheraton
    2. Will announce who was elected to Executive Committee
    3. South Asian partners are required to be members of SAMP, we don’t have a fee in place for international partners so we need to discuss a fee schedule (North American partners currently pay $750 but we might need to offer different rates for different organizations)
    4. We have 5 proposals to consider tomorrow
    5. Five projects have been completed since last time—some are digital and some are from Pakistan
  10. SACOOP report (Mary Rader, Judy Alspach, Bronwen Bledsoe)
    1. Our 7th annual workshop will be at the next Madison meeting
      1. There will be presentations on niche collections
      2. Print retention, maintaining collections, weeding, shifts to off-site storage, agreements about print retention, how to communicate with ourselves, with our broader community about these decisions
      3. Presentations from CRL staff about broader national and international discussion about journal retention issues
      4. Summer homework—An invitation to members to reconsider niche collections and potentially edit our statements, also urge people to declare an area of geographic specialization
  11. "Documents vs websites: a collection development approach to born-digital resources" (Aruna Magier)
    1. Experimental approach that Aruna took up on documenting NGO reports available on websites
    2. Not just websites, include formats such as audio recordings, oral histories, maps
    3. Columbia University’s “Human Rights Archive” as a model
    4. Started collecting NGO reports very selectively, chose them based on the niche collection she declared as part of SACOOP (so chose organizations around gender, sexuality issues)
    5. Not archiving entire website, only particular documents of interest
    6. Question of how to scale these projects—by hand selecting documents selectively and thematically (no blogs or Tweets, just NGO reports)
    7. Used online repository to store and make available materials: https://archive.nyu.edu/handle/2451/33605
    8. Include a disclaimer that says they will take items down if there is a disagreement based on copyright
    9. Discoverability—gets items into Primo to make them more accessible, hopes to eventually get items into Worldcat
    10. Good idea to complement our niche collections
  12. Language Resource Center materials migration (Mary Rader, Jim Nye, Karen Farrell)
    1. Group charged with looking at online language learning resources, concerned that they may not work at some point in the future
    2. Many materials on a list of these materials are still functional—how do we want to preserve these?
    3. Karen/IU has an Archive It account and space and could tentatively pursue preservation on behalf of the group, but cannot guarantee any particular timeline, or we could collectively pursue a separate Archive It account
    4. Possible SAMP proposal
    5. Will resume discussion at October meeting, group will come with more concrete suggestions
  13. Special Presentation: Bharti Kirchner, “A Young Girl, Silk Trading and the East India Company”
  14. Special Presentation: Richard Salomon, “Buddhist Manuscripts” 
  15. Tour of Special Collections
AttachmentSize
CONSALD meeting 03/31/201636.98 KB
Group content visibility: 
Use group defaults