From: Bryson, Tim
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:56 PM
Cc: Phong Tran; Xian Wu
Subject: CONSALD website login instructions
At the Madison meeting, the consensus was that access to the new site should be restricted for the time being to the group that attends these meetings and that group seemed to coincide more with the SACAP listserv than the CONSALD listserv so that is why this message is on this listserv. Let me know if we missed anyone.
Below I offer step by step instructions for creating an account, logging in, and editing your user profile. In subsequent messages I'll explain about adding or editing content directly to the site.
Note that your login gives you access to the content designated "public" on the site but not automatically to the members-only content in the CONSALD section of the site. At the Madison meeting, it was agreed to keep access to CONSALD-L content restricted by default to members only for the time being. Members have the option of restricting access to their own postings or making it public. I will explain how to do this later. When I confirm your login, I will add you as a member of the CONSALD group as well so you can see the members-only content. The SACAP Cooperative also has its own group on the site with a slightly different membership. Other groups could be added, e.g., SACAP itself or special project groups. Each member of each group has the option of making their individual posts "public" for everyone to see, shared only with other groups, or restricted to just one group.
I created logins already for some people as part of my testing. The list of those people is attached at the end together with separate instructions.
Everyone else can create a login/account following these steps. If you prefer, you can always just send me an email and ask me to do it for you. Note that the appearance of the site may change as I explore options for placement of graphics, columns, panels, boxes, and so on. The left hand side panel, however, will probably always remain the place to login, logout, click to your account, and find the main pages on the site.
- Go to the site at http://consald.org/newsite
- Click "Create new account" in the lower left
- Enter a username in the username field
- Enter the email address you use for consald-l in the email field
- Enter your full name as it should appear in the members directory in the Full Name field
- In the "Byline" field enter your name as you want it to appear in any posts you make to the site. You would probably enter your full name again.
- Under "Vocabularies," select any of the standard subject areas that describe your interests (hold the Ctrl key to select more than one) and/or add custom subject areas in the "Free tags" field
- Enter the CAPTCHA code to prove you're not a robot.
- Click the "Create new account" button.
If successful, you will see the following message: "Thank you for applying for an account. Your account is currently pending approval by the site administrator. In the meantime, a welcome message with further instructions has been sent to your e-mail address." I will review the list of login submissions daily and activate new accounts. You will receive another email with a one-time-only link back to the site that logs you in with an encrypted password. If you try to use it again, you will get a message that you need to enter your username or email address to receive a new encrypted password.
Once you're logged in...
- Click on your name at the top left to go to your account.
- Click the Edit tab to add/change your password. You also have the option to upload an image of yourself. I'll explain the other options later. Click Save.
- Click the "CONSALD Member Profile" tab to fill out the fields that are displayed in the Member Directory. Click Save.
Email me if you have any problems, questions, suggestions, corrections, or comments.
I created logins already for the following people. For your login name, I used your consald-l username, i.e., the name as it appears before the AT sign, e.g., tbryson; and for the password, I used Consald.2010 (unless you've already logged in and changed it).
Aruna P. Magier
Richard D. Saran